Frankie Muniz in 'Miracle In Lane 2' (2000)
Richiepiep

Frankie Muniz in 'Miracle In Lane 2' (2000)

Frankie plays real-life paralyzed boy Justin Yoder (born 1986), who's determined to take part in a soapbox derby - and win. Screen captures from the defunct www.youngactorsweb.com, by JM Fan.
From http://www.independentcritics.com/reviews/miracleinlanetwo.htm

Rating: four stars

This film is one of my favorite Disney movies of all time...and yes, I know that's saying a lot. It reminds me of those wonderful Sunday evenings I had as a child sitting in front of the television screen watching "Wonderful World of Disney." Largely, the shows were simple yet effectively produced, inspirational and solid entertainment for the entire family. Finding such a film in this day and age is, indeed, a miracle all its own.

This film centers on the real life story of 13-year-old Justin Yoder, a young Indiana teen born with spina bifida. Justin has a single vision...to win a trophy like his athletic, older brother. He ends up winning the National Soap Box Derby...it's a powerful, inspirational story beautifully brought together by the conviction and chemistry of the cast lead by Frankie Muniz as Justin. Muniz gives his best performance, by far, here embodying Justin with determination, humor, bewilderment, touches of self-pity and personal conflict. It's a well-rounded performance supported by Molly Hagan as his mother, Rick Rossovich as his father and Disney Channel regular Patrick Levis as his brother.

The plot here is fairly predictable, but it is a true story and it is faithful to the story (I know the Yoder's, and they are happy with the finished product). This film is a wonderful introduction to disability for the family...it gives an honest, yet gentle look at what life is like with spina bifida. It's accurate, and having grown up with spina bifida myself, it's exciting to see the subject approached on screen. The film largely avoids cheesiness, and even does a wonderful job of dealing with the older, athletic brother's feelings of being left out when his disabled brother gets all the attention.

This film was originally broadcast on Disney Channel, but is now available on video and DVD. I highly recommend checking it out!

© Written by Richard Propes

Media information

Category
Miracle In Lane 2
Added by
Richiepiep
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media