'The Middle' a 'Malcolm in the Middle' Rip Off?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Front Page Post

[See Front Page Post for Video]

The Middle is a new ABC sitcom based around a mother of 3, Frankie (!?) Heck (Patricia Heaton) she's "middle class in the middle of the country and is rapidly approaching middle age." Not surprisingly as soon as anyone heard about the show, thoughts turn to Malcolm in the Middle. I find it hard to believe you'd have a quirky (read dysfunctional) family based sitcom called The Middle and not expect everyone to compare it to Malcolm, but maybe that's what ABC wanted? The next Malcolm in the Middle?

OK, so the title of this post was a bit of link bait I don't, based on the previews, believe The Middle is a Malcolm rip off, but I had a quick bit of fun matching some scenes in the above video. AOL calls it "a dead ringer for Malcolm in the Middle with its realistic, wry take on regular family life" and they continue saying "little Atticus Shaffer steals the show as younger son Brick".

[See Front Page Post for Video]

It looks to have potential and I'll be sure to check it out. It debuts on ABC 8:30pm EST, September 30th.

Source: ABC & AOL TV

Lparsons7981

Might be an OK show, but i feel if it gets any popularity, people will forget MITM :(

Same way I feel.

It's tough to say how it will be, for me personally nothing can be MITM because it was almost a perfect storm of when it was on in my life that made it so important to me, but for the general public, I don't think it could be as successful or as high quality (they don't neccasarily go hand in hand lol) without the excellent cast chemistry and talent MITM had.

Ryebeach

10 days left. :D

Is it going to stream online somewhere in HD ?

I can't find anything official one way or the other, but my best guess is each episode will be viewable on ABC's official site the day after it initially airs. The only potential issue would be licensing it for online streaming as it's not owned by the ABC network. Warner Brothers Television owns the show and I know there are some shows Warner Bros. don't allow the networks to stream on their websites.

PBUNDY

Did anyone else catch the premiere of 'The Middle'? I watched it and was very disappointed. It's trying so hard to be Malcolm in the Middle, but it's not even in the same league. The humor feels forced, where on 'Malcolm' it was all so natural. The youngest son looks like a creepy, ugly version of Dewey and the mom even has the exact same hairstyle as Lois.

tedwilder

New serie that malcom's fan might like

Hello,
I just watched the pilot of " The middle ". Thats about 3 kids and parents. same kind of show as Malcom's in the middle. the mum is a lot like lois and the little boy is some kind of a freak like dewey. Just take a look. you might get it here : http://www.mininova.org/get/3004289

MITM_Fan

The Middle = Crap!

I just finished watching the first and last episode of this crap serie, The Middle, they've tried to look as MITM, the kid Brick actually imitates Dewey.

Enough said. Not watching more shitty serie's.

btw, I actually watched it in 720p but made no good, except on quality.

MITM_Fan

Did anyone else catch the premiere of 'The Middle'? I watched it and was very disappointed. It's trying so hard to be Malcolm in the Middle, but it's not even in the same league. The humor feels forced, where on 'Malcolm' it was all so natural. The youngest son looks like a creepy, ugly version of Dewey and the mom even has the exact same hairstyle as Lois.

Totally true.

I give 3.2/10, I must say The Middle sucks.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I've merged the other "The Middle" threads here (I like to keep things tidy).

I haven't watched it yet, but will tonight. I'm surprised to hear people didn't like it, critics seemed to think it wasn't bad.

tedwilder

Well thats funny because I even didnt see others talking about this serie before my message was moved here and it seems PBUNY thinks like me. I dont think this is stupid but this is definetly a "copy cat". Even the house looks like the same ( washing machine on the left of the kitchen set etc..). The worst thing would be they use the sames scenari. But It's obvious they're gonna do it becaue any sitcom use the same book "pre-made stuffs for any dumb sits." We shall see how look their grand parents.. It might be "fun " to watch but if it's too close of mitm it's just going to be annoying. Btw there is also the sit " Hank" after or before " The middle " quite fun . ( parents + 2 children.. but it's a Real sitcom: fake applause etc (heurk ! ) ).

MITM_Fan

Writers seem to forget the originality of creating they're own show, they had to fuckin' copy Malcolm in the Middle.

I remember Knight Rider 2008, not even the fans liked, or say me, pure bullshit rip-offs that fans and people dislike it.

Dexter
Lost
Man vs Food
The Office [US]
Heroes
Crash [US]
Wipeout [US] (3rd season back in 2010 summer)

This is about how many shows are worth watching.

I just watch USA and Japanese shows or movies (also other countries but basically these two).

It feels good to see Dexter's back on Season 4 but he kinda sucks now being a father. =/

AlexTheMartian

I just saw an encore of The Middle, and I noticed they live in Indiana... I been to Indiana, and lets just say, I won't be surprised to see a family like that there :D

It is not that bad... each character is different from each other. However, only the character types used seem like it is partly from Malcolm in the Middle, but the family as a whole, the way of life they have, reminds more more of Married with Children, only not as funny.

MalcolmFun

The show is up on HULU now.

Maybe the show could be somewhat funny. I'm not sure. I was totally distracted noticing all the rip offs from Malcolm during the episode!

The teacher they have a parent conference with was the same actor in a similar scene as the psychologist from the episode where Reese moves out.

They are trying to have the Dad do the same detached looks of "I don't care, ask your mother" thing Hal sometimes did, but this guy is not Bryan Cranston

The play scene was such a predictable disaster it reminded of the better scene with Malcolm being stuck as the farie

even the idle banter of mom and and another woman seemed ripped from Lois when they talked about how many kids they had. She works at used car lot, I was waiting for a duplication of the Lois parking lot scene at Christmas where she smashes her car. Maybe it will be in the second episode!

They actually named the main character who narrates to the audience "Frankie". lol just go all the way and name her Malcolm. It is like they are having a play on words and snickering while writing the script!

Last edited:

Gouki

They are trying to have the Dad do the same detached looks of "I don't care, ask your mother" thing Hal sometimes did, but this guy is not Bryan Cranston

Come on, Bryan Cranston did invent that sort of TV father. He did damn well with it, but he didn't invent it.