The Annoying Math Game

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
J. said:
Alright, sorry everyone:

(|-5|+8)(2^5)+33=x
find x

I don't know if we have to show our work!:D Well, I did that on a sheet of paper and here is the answer I got: 865=x Is that right?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
5(5)+5X=25+12X

25 + 5x = 25 + 12x
- 5x = - 5x

25 = 25 + 7x
-25 -25

0 = 7x
x = 0

If this is right, I have a good one for you all. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Okay, here's one with a MITM twist. You may need to find a formula somewhere to figure this one out. ;)

Dewey was mad at Malcolm and Reese for not letting him watch his favorite TV show. He decided to get back at them by destroying their comic book collections. Afterwards, he started thinking of what they were going to do to him so he got scared and ran from the house at a rate of 0.08 miles per minute. Wondering what was going on, Malcolm and Reese went to their bedroom and saw their comics shredded all over the floor. Furious, they began to run after him at a rate of 0.12 miles per minute. Dewey had a two minute head start. How long will it take for Malcolm and Reese to catch up to Dewey so they can beat the snot out of him?

*Just FYI: 0.08 miles per minute is approximately 5 mph and 0.12 miles per minute is approximately 7 mph. I went ahead and converted them to miles per minute, rather than miles per hour to save you the trouble. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
That's right! Great job. That was a hard one. :D If anybody was wondering how to get it, you have to use the formula: Distance = rate * time

You're trying to figure out at what time will Malcolm's and Reese's distance be equal to that of Dewey's so you set Distance 1 (Dewey) = Distance 2 (Malcolm/Reese). You have to take into account that dewey had a 2 minute head start so you would set his time ahead 2 minutes (t + 2), then you just plug in the numbers:

D = rt
D1=D2
0.08 * (t+2) = t * 0.12

Which can be simplifeid to:

2 * 0.08 = t * (0.12 - 0.08)
0.16 = 0.04 t
0.16 / 0.04 = 0.04 / 0.04 t
t = 4 minutes

Is that how you got it, Tony?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Wildcat said:
That's right! Great job. That was a hard one. :D If anybody was wondering how to get it, you have to use the formula: Distance = rate * time

You're trying to figure out at what time will Malcolm's and Reese's distance be equal to that of Dewey's so you set Distance 1 (Dewey) = Distance 2 (Malcolm/Reese). You have to take into account that dewey had a 2 minute head start so you would set his time ahead 2 minutes (t + 2), then you just plug in the numbers:

D = rt
D1=D2
0.08 * (t+2) = t * 0.12

Which can be simplifeid to:

2 * 0.08 = t * (0.12 - 0.08)
0.16 = 0.04 t
0.16 / 0.04 = 0.04 / 0.04 t
t = 4 minutes

Is that how you got it, Tony?

Actually, I didn't use any formula at all!:D I got a sheet of paper and used the given numbers and put them into fractions, such as Dewey was 1/4 a mile ahead and Reese/Malcolm trailed him at 2/4 miles. Thus, I figured it'd take about 4 minutes for them to catch Dewey. Im amazed I got it!:D Anyway, I guess it's my turn. If you don't mind, Im going to use a word problem too, to give mine a MITM twist!(not trying to steal your idea:D ).

Hal and Lois bought a brand new car. Before going to work, Lois tells Hal not to drive the car. Later in the day, Hal gets in the car. He drives 10 minutes from the house. Hal then realizes Lois gets off early and turns around to speed home at 65 MPH. Lois is driving home at 50 MPH and is only 5 minutes away. Hal must get to the house with the car before Lois. How fast must he go to get home before Lois?

Good one, eh?:D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Wouldn't he have to go more then 100MPH? I just did this mentally, so I think I'm wrong...

D

Deleted member 1693

Okay, here's one with a MITM twist. You may need to find a formula somewhere to figure this one out. ;)

Dewey was mad at Malcolm and Reese for not letting him watch his favorite TV show. He decided to get back at them by destroying their comic book collections. Afterwards, he started thinking of what they were going to do to him so he got scared and ran from the house at a rate of 0.08 miles per minute. Wondering what was going on, Malcolm and Reese went to their bedroom and saw their comics shredded all over the floor. Furious, they began to run after him at a rate of 0.12 miles per minute. Dewey had a two minute head start. How long will it take for Malcolm and Reese to catch up to Dewey so they can beat the snot out of him?

*Just FYI: 0.08 miles per minute is approximately 5 mph and 0.12 miles per minute is approximately 7 mph. I went ahead and converted them to miles per minute, rather than miles per hour to save you the trouble. :D

Weird... I've actually learned about d=rt. I wouldn't have gotten a word-- excuse me, number-- of this thread (after the first problem) a few months ago. Guess I'm learning something in school. :p

EDIT: Is the math annoying, the game annoying, or both? xD (referring to title)

Last edited by a moderator:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
d=rt is an extremely handy formula. I frequently use it during long car trips to approximate how much longer the trip will take me.

D

Deleted member 1693

Cool. See, I'm not one to use math in accordance with logic. That's not really a good thing on my part.