Old Christopher Masterson interview from April 24, 2000

Richiepiep

Administrator
I found this on www.teenmag.com/guys/whos_that_babe/index.shtml?babe=chris (archived), also as a copy on www.oocities.org/tophergees/read/teenmag.html

I think it's very interesting as background information, for instance his relations with the other cast members, and that he likes some cool "indie" actors, and The Larry Sanders Show, which was mainly directed by Todd Holland and Ken Kwapis and also co-produced by Holland before they went on to do MITM.

I wonder what that earlier TV pilot he did with Jane Kaczmarek would be. Probably an aborted pilot that never aired?

Christopher Masterson

Full name: Christopher Kennedy Masterson
Birthdate: January 22, 1980 (Aquarius)
Hometown: Garden City, NY
Living Now: Los Angeles
Dating Status: Lives with g/f, actress Laura Prepon ("That 70s Show")
Fave movie: "True Romance"
Fave actor: Gary Oldman
Fave actress: Lili Taylor
Fave band: Jeff Buckley
Fave TV show: "Larry Sanders"
Fave color: Blue
Fave food: Chicken
Hobby: Surfing
Worst Quality: Short attention span
Best Quality: Easy going

YOU KNOW HIM FROM:
Fox's hilarious new comedy "Malcolm in The Middle". Chris plays Francis, the smooth-talking delinquent eldest brother, whose escapades landed him in military school. You've also seen him on TV soap operas and in the feature films "Cutthroat Island", "My Best Friend's Wedding" and "American History X"

ON PLAYING FRANCIS:
"I was working on another pilot for NBC when I got the script for Malcolm and really liked it. I met with Linwood Boomer (who played Mary's blind b/f Adam on "Little House on the Prairie") who is the creator, and we kind of hit it off. So I went and we did it and it was really fun, and then my other show fell through so when we came back to shoot the first episode after the pilot they just made me a regular.

I base Francis on how my older brother (Danny Masterson, who plays Steve on "That 70s Show") and I were seven years ago. The way I acted and when I got in trouble the way I tried to get out of it, that's how I play him and it's even more fun now cause I get paid to do it and don't have to pay the consequences!"

On a more embarrassing note, Chris recently filmed a scene for the show where, clad only in his underwear, he is given a sponge bath by his mother! "My girlfriend was on the set and she couldn't' stop laughing! She took a Polaroid of me in my undies and now it's hanging on our refrigerator!

DIGGIN' THE TV FAMILY:
'This cast is so amazing which is really important because you have work with these people everyday. The kids are all very, very cool and they are definitely kids. They're not trying to act older than they are or pretend to be little adults, which I like. They do kid things on the set. They run around and play football on stage and goof off but when the camera rolls they're very professional. Then Jane and Brian who are the parents are both really great. I actually did a pilot with Jane a few years ago where we played mother and son, so I knew her. And Brian is just like the funniest man in the world. We have a lot of fun. It's like a picnic everyday!"

SHOWBIZ BABY:
"When I was about 16 months old my mom started taking my older brother Danny and I into NYC for auditions just kind of as a fun thing to do during the summer and we just started working. We were these little babies (cute ones we'll bet!) doing commercials and modeling and then as we got older we started doing soap operas and small movies and we never really stopped.

I have a level head about it all basically because of my mom I think. I don't know how I would have turned out without her. She has always made it very clear that acting did not hold the prime spot in my life. It wasn't number one. That there we so many other things that are important in life and it's just a job that I do and to be grateful to have a job that is fun, but not to take it for granted or think it is everything. I have always held that attitude and therefore if I don't get a part that I want or I get a part that gets cut out, I don't get jaded because it's really not that important to me. I think its so much fun what I do and I am happy to be working when I do!"

FUNNY GIRL:
Chris's live in love, Laura, plays Donna on "That 70's Show". He becomes totally enthusiatic when speaking of her; "I would go and hang out with my brother on his show and that's how I met Laura. I was absolutely attracted to her and we really hit it off and I guess the rest is history. She is so talented and I love her attitude in life. She is a really, really laid back person and she makes me laugh all day long. I think it's really important to be with someone who can do that!"

HANG TIME:
Most of my family is out here in LA now so I try to see them and spend as much time as I can between working. I love to surf and when it gets a lot colder I go and snowboard a couple of days a week. I'm kinda funny in a way because I am really into solo sports and I don't play any team sports. Never really cared for them. I also climb a lot which is really challenging for me.

I support a couple of causes too. I recently participated in a slalom race for the Special Olympics Benefit in Tahoe, which was really great because we raised $500,000, which basically covers the cost of the Special Olympics themselves. Also there is a group called CCHR that is The Citizens Commission for Human Rights [a Scientology Church campaign group against psychiatry, ed.] and I support them as well. They have demonstrations and rallies that I participate in and I am really into that."

ON ACTING WITH JULIA:
[He played Dermot] Mulroney's younger brother and the best man [in "My Best Friend's Wedding"]. It was so cool working with Julia, she was such a great lady. She was starring in the movie, so obviously she was really busy, but she never acted like a moviestar. She was just very cool with everybody. She would come on the set and know everybody's name from the craft service people to the grips and the cast ... she was just such a pleasure to work with and be around."

BETCH DIDN'T KNOW:
On the subject of personal quirks and our little idiosyncrasies Chris had this to say. "I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes while I am driving people look over at me like I'm crazy! I have full conversations with myself. Like maybe there is something I am going to say to somebody later in the day or something I wish I had said ten years ago and I'll just kind of act it out for myself. I'm only one of the characters though so I can't hear the other character (laughs) .... that's just kinda how I do it! It's a little quirky I guess. Oh, and I sleep naked too!"

ACCIDENTAL ACTOR:
Chris worked on the Geena Davis starrer "Cutthroat Island" and says, "It was the craziest experience. I kept getting hurt but in kind of strange ways. One time I was electrocuted! It was in front of the whole crew so it was really strange and surreal. Another time we were rehearsing a scene with me and Geena and this guy Stan, and Stan's horse bit my leg and then pulled me off the saddle and I fell down between the horses! A couple of months later I was doing a scene and was bitten in the face by a monkey (laughing)! Towards the end of filming we had a scene where we had to swim in the ocean and nobody wanted to swim near me because they thought I would get bitten by a shark! They thought I was jinxed!"

FUTURE GOALS:
"I always want to act. It's just too much fun not to do it. I'd like to direct in the future. I went to film school for about a year and would like to go back and finish up at some point. I directed a couple of short films, and I would like to start a production company as well and start producing the kind of movies that I would like to do. As for right now, I am up for a couple of film projects that would shoot during my hiatus. I would like to take a vacation too. My girlfriend and I have been talking about going to Venice for a couple of weeks as well. We've both been there before but not together so it will be really great to experience it with her!"

Last edited: