Lois' Lies

yardgames

Retired Administrator
The question is: Does Lois keep secrets from Hal?

In Jury Duty, she tells Hal that she keeps secrets from him all the time because he is upset that she won't tell him about the trial and claims they tell each other everything.

In Army Buddy, though, she tells Hal that she's so happy she can still trust Hal because there's no secrets between them after her orthodics are ruined and she believes it was someone in her own house, not even realizing it could be Hal himself.

So which is it?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Lemme over complicate things more than necessary.

Age old question is "cake or pies?" You know, pastries are always at war, and because everyone always assumes that the cake is a lie, pie is the correct choice. It is this illogical reason (In my first post: "tv magic") which is a nice corver all term, more commonly used it tv terminology, called a "goof".

MalcolmFun

I don't think thats a TV goof. I see a distinction between saying you are the person I can trust with my secrets vs claiming to not keep ANY secrets at all from that person.

soche

Remember "Zoo"? Hal found out that before they got married, Lois dated like 4 men at the same time as him, and he had to find out about it one of those men. She definitely keeps some secrets from him.

Last edited:

rolnxyz

One of the biggest lies was in Tiki Longe with the heaven/no heaven dilemma:

Hal - "You know what would help, If you change your mind and told me that you believe in heaven"

Lois - "You want me to lie to you?"

[..] Lois refueses to lie

Lois - "Hal I am sorry I have to tell you the truth"

Hal - "Why?"

Lois - "Because, that's what I believe in. It's what I hang to; the truth is all I have. If I could give it up for anybody I would give it up for you, but I just can't."

---Later in the auction---

Lois - "I have changed my mind, I do believe in heaven"

Last edited:

PeterU

Super Moderator
There are inconsistencies in the series about how much Hal and Lois keep from each other -- sometimes they'll 'come clean' by the end of an episode, and sometimes (as in Tiki Lounge) they actually do the opposite.

For me, though, those inconsistencies don't really matter. I think the most important thing is that they do what is right for their marriage. Throughout the entire show and despite the occasional conflict, Hal and Lois have always had a happy marriage and that is a very important part of the premise of Malcolm in the Middle.

In Tiki Lounge, Lois decides to lie to Hal because she is sacrificing her 'belief' in the truth for the sake of Hal's peace of mind that they will spend eternity together. It is an act of Lois actually choosing to go against her (strongly held) principles because Hal and her relationship with him is more important. Even if that means lying that one time.

rolnxyz

Yes you are right, most are lies to keep the family together. Most should not be considered flaws, because Lois really stands for what's right and not really for what is true.

I have another one, do you remember Dewey's Opera? The whole episode is about the "new big bed lie".

One of my favorite quotes of that episode: "I don't care about that. And it's not a secret; the second you fall asleep you let loose like a sailor."

Lol and when Hal sings "no one else knows" and "knows" is like a child-like high pitch.