Greatest movie ever made

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
What is the greatest movie ever made? I am talking about epics here, Academy Award winning movies.
I really liked the movie "Saving Private Ryan". It was hands down the most compelling and realistic look at World War two. And it also didn't have that "happy ending" most expected. yes, Private Ryan was found and he does go home, but Captain Miller(Tom Hanks) and 5 other men of his company die on the mission. The movie was so realistic that when shown to actual WW2 survivors and men who fought at Normandy on D-Day, the movie had to be stopped several times so the men could compose themselves(many of those men were crying because of the memories and how the film presented them). Steven Spielberg forever earned my respect because of this film, and he showed the brave and courageous acts of America's "greatest generation".
Another great movie(also by Spielberg) is "Schindler's List". This told of the story of a German officer, Schindler, who had a factory imprisoned Jews worked at for his benifit. He comes to realize the great suffering they are bearing because of the Nazis, and he manages to save the Jews from certain death. This is a true story, by the way, which makes it even more harrowing. Like "SPR", this film had to be stopped at screenings as well because Jewish holocaust servivors were in attendence and many of them broke down into tears and had to leave to compose themselves.
Those are two of my picks. What are yours?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Yes, Schindler's list was really a good movie. I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan yet, it just doesn't interest me, but I remember people saying that the film wasn't so realistic and that the war was totally different. As I said, I haven't seen it, so I don't know who's right...

As for me, I don't have one movie that I assume to be the best, that actually changes a lot. For the moment it is Blues Brothers, I just rewatch it all the time... :D

D

Deleted member 1693

I don't know if I would call them the "greatest", but I'd have to say that Ocean's Eleven and The Matrix are my favorite movies of all time. Great and interesting twists in plot and intriguing thought-provoking material.

AlexTheMartian

I say Scarface.
Altough I have yet to see some of the most famous movies, like The Godfather or Rocky so I can not turely answer this yet.

D

Deleted member 1693

I loved Edward Scissorhands! I love Tim Burton.

Never seen the Godfather. I definitely need to keep up with all of these movie suggestions.

Ryebeach

I'd have to agree with Tony on this one. I think the greatest movie ever made is Saving Private Ryan. The film really hit a nerve for me, I think, because shortly before its release, I actually visited the Omaha and Utah beaches in Normandy, France. I was at the graveyard with the innumerable white crosses and it left me speechless. To see what happened in those locations, as portrayed so brilliantly in the film, was moving, to say the least.

zachman93

The Jackson LotR films, the Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, It's a Wonderful Life, the Back to the Future trilogy, Forrest Gump, 3:10 to Yuma, The Green Mile, and Ocean's Eleven come to mind right away.

MITM_Fan

Again, there's no "greatest movie ever made" it would had to be near perfect, and most are pretty awesome.

The Dark Knight & Mortal Kombat Rebirth Short-Movie pwns the crap out of the others.:p