Are we alone in the Universe, or Galaxy? and do you believe in Ghosts?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Do you think we are the only senient species in the Galaxy (by that, i mean, are we the only species that can fly in space?)? Do you think we are prepared to meet them if they were to come to us? Do you think we will come to them, or will they come to us?

I would like to ask these questions to you guys, and hope to attract some sci-fi fans not really posting to post.

I think we are not alone. a mathamatical theroy proved that there are about 10,000 Earth-like planets (Earth-like is water, air, heat, dirt) that is possibly 10,000 other civilizations in our galaxy alone. There are millions of other galaxys in our universe. trillions of planets that could be Earth-like in one way or another.

We are not prepared for a large scale encounter with aliens. We must stop being Americans, Germans, English, French, and every other country in the world. We must be Earthlings, Terrans, Humans, the name doesn't matter. What matters is that we need to unify as a planet to go to another star system. Wouldn't it be cool to be in a binary star system(we think that our star system is binary, but the second star is out by pluto, and burned out to a brown dawrf, or a dead star.) with 4 moons and 32 hour days? That is why I think we should unify as a planet.

And finally, I think at this way we are in life, with countries and territories and such, they will come to us. NASA is sucked dry wit hundreds of projects other countries couldn't do, Russia is kinda poor when it comes to space, and the ESA is there, but strugling none-the-less.

Who's with me to declare a unified planet?

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Are we alone in the Universe, or Galaxy?

J. said:
Do you think we are the only senient species in the Galaxy (by that, i mean, are we the only species that can fly in space?)? Do you think we are prepared to meet them if they were to come to us? Do you think we will come to them, or will they come to us?

I would like to ask these questions to you guys, and hope to attract some sci-fi fans not really posting to post.

I think we are not alone. a mathamatical theroy proved that there are about 10,000 Earth-like planets (Earth-like is water, air, heat, dirt) that is possibly 10,000 other civilizations in our galaxy alone. There are millions of other galaxys in our universe. trillions of planets that could be Earth-like in one way or another.

We are not prepared for a large scale encounter with aliens. We must stop being Americans, Germans, English, French, and every other country in the world. We must be Earthlings, Terrans, Humans, the name doesn't matter. What matters is that we need to unify as a planet to go to another star system. Wouldn't it be cool to be in a binary star system(we think that our star system is binary, but the second star is out by pluto, and burned out to a brown dawrf, or a dead star.) with 4 moons and 32 hour days? That is why I think we should unify as a planet.

And finally, I think at this way we are in life, with countries and territories and such, they will come to us. NASA is sucked dry wit hundreds of projects other countries couldn't do, Russia is kinda poor when it comes to space, and the ESA is there, but strugling none-the-less.

Who's with me to declare a unified planet?
I've gained most of my Sci-Fi knowledge from Futurama, and I guess you could say we aren't alone in terms of species, whether there is another species out their which is "intellgient" we will probably find out one day! If there are indeed 10,000 possible earths out their it really does show you the really small chance of life, only 10,000 in a universe that is forever expanding! And then on those 10,000 planets to get an intelligent lifeform evolved as mcuh as we have - well I really think that that is probably also 1 in 10,000 which would probably put us as the only planet with intelligent life form! :D

Thats not to say I am right, I think there quite possibly could be another intelligent life form out there - what about in a parallel universe somewhere!

I think our own planet is bad enough to content with first, you are right we do need to unify, but space travel and collinization should not be considered until Planet Earth is "correct". In that we have no starvation, no poverty, no conflict etc.

We may need to re colinize at the current rate we are destroying the world.

I think it depends would aliens "attack" if they do attack, whats to say the aliens will not be like us and want to be friendly and learn more knowledge - do all stereotypical aliens want to blow up the earth and kill all the humans!

The universe is a big place, we need faster travelling speeds before we can really explorer it efficently.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

admin said:
I've gained most of my Sci-Fi knowledge from Futurama, and I guess you could say we aren't alone in terms of species, whether there is another species out their which is "intellgient" we will probably find out one day! If there are indeed 10,000 possible earths out their it really does show you the really small chance of life, only 10,000 in a universe that is forever expanding! And then on those 10,000 planets to get an intelligent lifeform evolved as mcuh as we have - well I really think that that is probably also 1 in 10,000 which would probably put us as the only planet with intelligent life form! :D

Thats not to say I am right, I think there quite possibly could be another intelligent life form out there - what about in a parallel universe somewhere!

I think our own planet is bad enough to content with first, you are right we do need to unify, but space travel and collinization should not be considered until Planet Earth is "correct". In that we have no starvation, no poverty, no conflict etc.

We may need to re colinize at the current rate we are destroying the world.

I think it depends would aliens "attack" if they do attack, whats to say the aliens will not be like us and want to be friendly and learn more knowledge - do all stereotypical aliens want to blow up the earth and kill all the humans!

The universe is a big place, we need faster travelling speeds before we can really explorer it efficently.
I think you got confused with the 10,000 part, 10,000 in our galaxy, 10,000 in another galaxy, 10,000 in another galaxy, ect.

Parallel universes are a whole different story, maybe i'll bring that up in time travel thread, after some research.

And we must get rid of poverty, starvation and conflict by having one country (or empire), democratic of course. That way, no one to fight, no conflict, no poverty because if you work hard in our ship manufacturing plants, you get lots of money. Starvation is because of other countries boycotting, or embargos on other countries supplies, causing thier money supplies to run low, no country to do that anymore. And a more efficent space speed is easier when you have 1,000's of scietists insteed of a few hundred thinking about it.

admin

Retired Administrator

J. said:
I think you got confused with the 10,000 part, 10,000 in our galaxy, 10,000 in another galaxy, 10,000 in another galaxy, ect.

Parallel universes are a whole different story, maybe i'll bring that up in time travel thread, after some research.

And we must get rid of poverty, starvation and conflict by having one country (or empire), democratic of course. That way, no one to fight, no conflict, no poverty because if you work hard in our ship manufacturing plants, you get lots of money. Starvation is because of other countries boycotting, or embargos on other countries supplies, causing thier money supplies to run low, no country to do that anymore. And a more efficent space speed is easier when you have 1,000's of scietists insteed of a few hundred thinking about it.
fair enough, those odds would make signs of life way more likely! :D

I am not sure "one country" is the way to go, you'll get a lot of opposition to that, I think that we can remain having countries but still have an "Earth" representative or representatives, just create another UN type orgainzation, only this time specising them in the administration of the earth in general, and taking decissions on matters regarding the earth in relation to our the planets/aliens. Like a foriegn minister, only for the entire planet.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

admin said:
I am not sure "one country" is the way to go, you'll get a lot of opposition to that, I think that we can remain having countries but still have an "Earth" representative or representatives, just create another UN type orgainzation, only this time specising them in the administration of the earth in general, and taking decissions on matters regarding the earth in relation to our the planets/aliens. Like a foriegn minister, only for the entire planet.
That makes sense. Now if all the countries could agree on something, or maybe just 4 or 5 countries, Mostly the continents, like North & South America be America, Asia would be Asia, Europe would be Europe, Africa would be Africa, Austrailia and Pacific Islands would be Austraila. Like 5 big countries to gouvern insteed of 125 little ones. That way it is easier to get things done.

arach

Very interesting topic.

I believe that there are other life forms out there, whether they are intelligent or not. Although it's still a mystery why amino acids were put together in perfect harmony to form life, I don't think earth is the only place where this happens. Universe is so large that we may sometimes think that we are alone, because earth is like a tiny little special atom that's part of... a tree for example. We don't know if there are other atoms like ours because we are all surrounded by Hydrogen, Oxygen and other complex structures, but we never ran across another atom like us. What a stupid example.

However, I think that it doesn't really matter, because light speed is the natural border for us. We can't find out if there are other life forms out there, because there is this limit that can't be bypassed (I don't want to talk about wormholes, parallel universes or other theoretical things that are way too far fetched in our current knowledge of science).

But I really can't agree about what J writes:

"And we must get rid of poverty, starvation and conflict by having one country (or empire), democratic of course. That way, no one to fight, no conflict, no poverty because if you work hard in our ship manufacturing plants, you get lots of money. Starvation is because of other countries boycotting, or embargos on other countries supplies, causing thier money supplies to run low, no country to do that anymore."

Didn't you think about poverty and starvation in your own country? Or about to different groups of people fighting each other in the same country? Like Hutu and Tutsis did in Ruanda, with over 1 Million people killed in less than one year? It happens! And that's not because countries are boycotting other countries or are at war. It's simply because the distribution of money and goods are unfair. There will always be the small community of rich ones and the big community of poor people. Rich countries and poor countries. Sadly this is just the way it is. Mankind is so far away from giving all for others, because it's just not the nature way of life. Kill or get killed. If you don't eat that dead animal, some other animal will and you will die of starvation. Nobody wants that. And you just can't think that everything would be better if we have one country and everyone lives in perfect harmony together. You can't make everyone rich, because richness is based on poverty of other people.

I just wanted to tell you my opinion about it.

Now back to the topic:
I don't believe that UFO's exist, because they would have to travel faster than light speed, otherwise we would already have discovered their home planet. And I think this is impossible. Would be against Einstein's relativity theory, and that's what I believe in till the opposite is prooven. But maybe they will proove it someday. There was a time all people thought that earth was a disc, you know. :D

Malcolm

Arach; maybe their home planet is not in this Galaxy. We just dont know. And, we dont know if Einstein was right. Its theory is not more than that, a theory.

Lets confess; we dont know anything about lots of things. ;)

See ya!

MITM-Fan

This is a highly complex topic to discuss on but I'll make it short: No, I don't think we are alone in the universe FULLSTOP. :D (but maybe I'm a little paranoid :eek: :p )

:cool:

prettyburd

i believe in ghosts and witches and gods and goddess's but im afraid i have to haev a different opinion on UFO's. how could aliens eat get the material to make space ships and stuff like that. MAKE ME A BELIEVER!!! i love to believe in things so maybe you can convince me to believe in aliens....:rolleyes:

Emrysgirl

prettyburd said:
i believe in ghosts and witches and gods and goddess's but im afraid i have to haev a different opinion on UFO's. how could aliens eat get the material to make space ships and stuff like that. MAKE ME A BELIEVER!!! i love to believe in things so maybe you can convince me to believe in aliens....:rolleyes:
Believing in ghosts and witches sounds a lot more farfetched than believing in aliens. What do you mean "get the material"? How do you think we "get the material" to bring rockets etc.?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Anyone ever hear of the Dropa Stones? These stones were from another civilization. A space ship crashed on the mountains of China 12,000 years ago, these aliens had these stone discs with writing and groves on them (Much like a cd-rom, a cd, or a dvd) They were called the Dropa. The Dropa inter-bred with the mountanious people of west china and eventually they looked like people. only much shorter, about 3.5 to 4.5 feet, Of course, all this happened in the 1930's, so there was no such thing as cd, or dvds. no way to explain the stones. makes sense, china had fire works, ROCKETS, and gunpowder before Europe did. In the caves where they were found were 716 disks, each with differrent markings in little groves. The caves were artifical looking, with storage rooms, and other things, but they found little 4 foot skelatons with big heads, and fragile bodies.
For the whole Dropa Story see: http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa060198.htm

Can anyone explain the Nazca lines? they are only visible from the sky, they look like spiders, animals, and one has a striking resemblence to a creture with a big head in a helmet. The Nazca people had no helicoptors, this took place in South America, they were not particularry advanced people, only guided from above by aliens.

Malcolm

Prettyburd: Witches? You dont need to BELIEVE in witches. They DO EXIST. Saying "I believe in witches" is like saying "I believe in cats". :) And I know ghosts do exist too.

UFOs? I've never seen an alien (fortunately;) those little grey guys are creepy), but I've seen several UFOs. And believe me, I was that kind of guy who doesnt believe in anything. Now, I cant believe most people has never seen one! :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

There was an episode of MITM in which Francis was a UFO in order to try and attract people to the Grotto.

Malcolm

Yeah, I remember that ep. He was disguised as an alien and so was another guy and then they are both captured by CIA agents or something like that. It was a funny episode. :D

Emrysgirl

Malcolm said:
Prettyburd: Witches? You dont need to BELIEVE in witches. They DO EXIST. Saying "I believe in witches" is like saying "I believe in cats". :) And I know ghosts do exist too.

UFOs? I've never seen an alien (fortunately;) those little grey guys are creepy), but I've seen several UFOs. And believe me, I was that kind of guy who doesnt believe in anything. Now, I cant believe most people has never seen one! :D
Witches? I hope you're being sarcastic!

Are they still UFOs if you know what they are (U = unidentified)? How can you tell a difference b/w a UFO and a plane or a sattelite? Or even a bird for that matter?

Besides, since you are Malcolm, aren't you a skeptic? You don't even believe in luck, much less magic or UFO's.:D

Malcolm

Emrysgirl said:
Witches? I hope you're being sarcastic!

Are they still UFOs if you know what they are (U = unidentified)? How can you tell a difference b/w a UFO and a plane or a sattelite? Or even a bird for that matter?

Besides, since you are Malcolm, aren't you a skeptic? You don't even believe in luck, much less magic or UFO's.:D
Lol! Yeah, I am Malcolm and Im a skeptic. So you really know me, huh?

HalRULES

Ok, this is what i believe.
There are alians out there somewhere. But the alians are human.
Thousands of years ago the alians (humans) found a planet that was livable. This planet was earth. They dropped a few people on earth (Adam and Eav) and left them here to see how they would evolve. Kinda like an experiment.
Over the years we have had wars and moved on with technology. The alians who dropped us here come back now and then to see how things are going. This explains the UFO's some people see.
The Alians see that the earth is being destroyed by polution and we are at war with each other. The experiment is a failer and they dont bother comunicating with use.
This also proves the bible (im not religious but it has something to do with the bible). God is like the president or king up there. Like George W. Bush but lets hope he's smarter. He had a son, Jesus, who he dropped he on earth 2005 years ago. We all no what happened there.
Anyway. God and his people have technology that is way more advanced then any technology on earth. God and his people are the alians we are so fascinated about.
If you guys have any questions just ask. Hope it all makes sense.
Anyway, thats my theory.