A Burning Man Question

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Why do you think the family went along with Malcolm and Reese? I want to get you guys thinking here. It would be nice to hear every possible theory out there. Was it because Lois wanted to partake in the fun also? Or was it because she believes that the boys aren't allowed to have fun without a responsible adult present?

I think the reason was that in Season 6, Lois felt that she was losing power over the boys. Lois Vs. Jamie is a very good example of this. In essance, she is losing power in them, they are approaching adulthood, and can think for themselves. Do you think Lois is over-protective, in which she believes that her boys are still little kids and she has to take care of them?

MITM18

Its really not like that at all, she believed what Malcolm said about Burning Man how it was a place to show your expression, to show art.

She believed it would be a fun time, and thats what she got.

I dont think there is an underlining reason why they went, they went to have a nice time together as a family.

As parents they know that they have only a few more years until Malcolm and Reese are out of the house, so they try to spend time as much togethter. I congradulate that way of thinking.

admin

Retired Administrator
J. said:
Why do you think the family went along with Malcolm and Reese? I want to get you guys thinking here. It would be nice to hear every possible theory out there. Was it because Lois wanted to partake in the fun also? Or was it because she believes that the boys aren't allowed to have fun without a responsible adult present?

I think the reason was that in Season 6, Lois felt that she was losing power over the boys. Lois Vs. Jamie is a very good example of this. In essance, she is losing power in them, they are approaching adulthood, and can think for themselves. Do you think Lois is over-protective, in which she believes that her boys are still little kids and she has to take care of them?

I have to agree with MITM18 somewhat on this, I believe it was because she wanted some "fun". If we cast our minds back to "Hot Tub" where she admitted to Hal that she wanted to do some of the "crazy, zany" things that he does everynow and again.

This is the first real episode we have seen Lois really enjoying herself in a "wacky" way, in previous seasons, she has been very reserved and mainly the "sane" person who brough everyone back to their senses again. This time, it appears the roles of Hal and Lois have reversed with Lois really getting into the swing of things and Hal remaining "sane" and not wanting to get involved.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Hmm, interesting question. She had obviously never heard of the festival before and found it intriguing, so that was probably part of it. I don't think she felt like she had to supervise the boys, per se, but maybe she thought that the weekend getaway could bring the family as a whole closer together. In the end, I don't know if Lois knew what to expect. She was mainly going off of Malcolm's description, but I think she expected, more or less, a day at Disney World.

CJman327

Malcolm made Burning Man sound all "wicked totally fun!" and Lois in her head was like:"Wow. This place seems like Disney World! We should make it a family trip!". And in Malcolm's head was saying:"Dang! I made it sound too fun! Now it'll raise questions on a fan-site forum! Drat!":D Which in a summary convinced Hal and Lois.:)