Malcolm in the Middle HD Episodes?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Yep, season 6 is airing at the moment in HD and season 7 i already know to be in HD, so just the 2 seasons.

Correct, back to uni at the end of the month, so 9 months fundraising for next summer would be good!

Yes, unless we have some rich donors it could take a while to raise it.

You're still up for it which is great :)

The focus would be HD but there is no reason why we couldn't do some higher quality recordings of seasons 1-5 as well.

Oh, I thought they were because most of the pictures were widescreen.:s

Because Fox and FX airs/aired them in widescreen calling it Broadcast in Fox High Resolution Widescreen. But, it might be HD on FXHD

Last edited:

AlexTheMartian

"High Resolution", "High Definition". Two different things. All "High Resolution" (which is not any official term) means is it is a higher resolution, not necessarily as high as high def

in simple words, they are trying to trick you into thinking it is HD, but they would just say it is if it was

MITM_Fan

"High Resolution", "High Definition". Two different things. All "High Resolution" (which is not any official term) means is it is a higher resolution, not necessarily as high as high def

in simple words, they are trying to trick you into thinking it is HD, but they would just say it is if it was

Yep that's correct.

High Resolution is 853x480 or 960x544 and High Definition starts really at 960x720 it's in 4:3 format, the 16:9 is 1280x720, well everyone knows this.

Oh, well I think it is airing in HD on FX, but yeah this was before FOX aired things in high-def. "High Res Widescreen", wow they are cheap:(. I mean they could have scanned the film to make it really HD, but they don't and make you think that it is!

Last edited:

CKhaleel

I can do something, I have Season 7 in HD I can record off my TV, and can upscale it to 720p using Sony Vegas, to make it from high res crap to high def awesomeness.

ronbin

Hey there. Is this project still alive? I don't care a lot about HD episodes, but i would like to see season 3 in 16:9. Is there any plans to record and upload this season?

Widescreen

all eps where filmed in HD but they where saved to SD 720x480 16:9 but then after a couple of seasons they changed to 35mm film so then saved the eps to to 1920x1080p but because fox only broadcast in 720p so there was no 1920x1080 but if fox broadcast in 1920x1080 and played the eps again we would have 1920x1080 eps

because of all the music that they used on Malcolm in the middle there will never be any other seasons besides session 1 on dvd as it would cost them way to much to get the copyrights for all the music/songs used

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
all eps where filmed in HD but they where saved to SD 720x480 16:9 but then after a couple of seasons they changed to 35mm film so then saved the eps to to 1920x1080p but because fox only broadcast in 720p so there was no 1920x1080 but if fox broadcast in 1920x1080 and played the eps again we would have 1920x1080 eps

because of all the music that they used on Malcolm in the middle there will never be any other seasons besides session 1 on dvd as it would cost them way to much to get the copyrights for all the music/songs used

Welcome Widescreen, you are right in some ways wrong in others.

All the episodes where shot on film. Film can be converted (scanned) to SD (standard definition) or HD (high definition).

As far as we know only season 6 & 7 have been converted to HD. I'm sure the original film remains and therefore there could be HD releases of earlier seasons.

For some of the original broadcasts (and broadcasts to this day, depending on the channel) and the season 1 DVD the episodes where cropped to 4:3.

These where later re-broadcast in 16:9 widescreen.

Season 6 & 7 where broadcasts in HD.

We don't know what resolution the film was converted at, so they may have to re-do season 6 & 7 if they wanted to have 1080p HD.

You are correct in saying music rights issues are an issue for season 2, however we don't know if this effects later seasons and there may well be other reasons for the lack of DVD releases.

Chunky Malcolm

Hmm... my computer could probably handle it. (64-bit, dedicated video card, etc.) The only thing for me is money. I don't exactly have that much just floating around. I'd really like to help with the project, though. :yes:

Magic-J

Hello everybody !

What's news about HD episodes ?

Recently I've had the equipment to record in HD and I have a few episodes but I'm french and it's only french language in channel TV France ...
Screenshot of season 2 : http://nsa25.casimages.com/img/2012/05/13/120513021352319839.png

The episodes on Paris Premiere are the same as the episodes you can see on M6 which are not in HD it's just upscaled and the worst thing is they cropped the 4:3 format to make a 14:9 TV format which sucks when you know that all this show does actually exists in 16:9. :mad:

Another time french TV is lame...

I have the complete season 2 in widescreen (not HD but at least it's 16:9) and it's in french. I also have some episodes from the season 1,3,4,5,6 and 7 in french widescreen.

mass5160

I haven't read through the entire thread, but if its not been discussed already, I know of a place that offers season 7 in 720p, however it is only in French. Doesn't stop the sound tracks being easily replaced though.
Also; haven't got a clue whether there are cuts to the episodes or not, but if anyone is interested, I guess I could grab them and do something with them.